Quick San Francisco Facts:
- Population: 864,816 (2016 estimate). The San Francisco Bay Area is estimated to have a population of 7.65 million.
- Official Language: English (de facto) with over 110 other languages spoken including Spanish, Portuguese, Tagalog, Mandarin, Cantonese, Swahili, Navajo and Punjabi.
- GDP Per Capita: $71,668 USD (2016)
- Fortune Cookie: The “Chinese” fortune cookie was invented by Makoto Hagiwara, a Japanese-American businessman in San Francisco.
- Currency: US Dollar (US$). As of early 2019, £1 = $1.30, €1 = $1.13, $1 CAD = $0.75, $1 AUD = $0.71
Below are some sample container shipping costs to San Francisco from other major world cities. Just keep in mind they only reflect the shipping portion of the cost and not the full moving costs.
Monthly Rental Prices in San Francisco
- 1 bedroom apartment in the City Centre: $3,300+
- 1 bedroom apartment outside the City Centre: $2,700+
- 3 bedroom apartment in the City Centre: $5,900+
- 3 bedroom apartment outside the City Centre: $4,400+
San Francisco City Home Purchase Prices
- Price per square metre (10.7 square feet) to buy in City Centre: $12,400
- Price per square metre (10.7 square feet) to buy outside City: $9,800
How to Save on Housing Costs
- Share a house or apartment: Unless you are very well off or have a company housing allowance, you will be sharing in San Francisco. Sharing a house or apartment is a way to save on living expenses. You will probably have to share a bathroom but you will save at the end of the day. A cheaper option is to share a room. Have a look at the following sites to find a roommate: Easyroommate, Kangaroom, SpareRoom, Metroroommates.
- Different areas – different prices. The city of San Francisco covers 7 square miles and is surrounded on three sides by water, so the city can only grow upwards. The most expensive areas are Dogpatch, South Beach, Pacific Heights, Potrero Hill and Panhandle. At the other end of the scale, but still not cheap, is Excelsior, Outer Sunset, Richmond District, Central Sunset and Ocean View.
San Francisco Food, Grocery, and Restaurant Costs
San Francisco prides itself on its food. It has the biggest selection of vegetarian and vegan restaurants in the States, but also has plenty of excellent traditional restaurants representing the cuisine of most countries in the world.
- Inexpensive Restaurant: $13 – $20
- Takeout Coffee: $4.00 – $5.00
- Bottle of Coke: $1.60 – $3.50
- 1L of milk: $0.87 – $1.64
- Loaf of Bread: $2.76 – $5.51
- 12 Eggs: $2.89 – $4.00
- 1kg Chicken: $8.82 – $19.84
- 1kg Beef: $11.02 – $33.07
- 1kg Apples: $2.20 – $6.61
- 1kg White Rice: $2.20 – $7.72
Moving to San Francisco Alone
Moving anywhere can be a lonely experience, but moving to a new city can be rather daunting. Here are a few tips about settling in San Francisco.
- Meetups: There are many MeetUp groups to choose from. You will certainly find something to join which will help you to settle in. There is an enormous selection of groups, from single moms to free concerts, hiking and raw food.
- Attend local events: There’s always lots going on in San Francisco. Have a look at Timeout, Thrillist, and SF Travel.
Check our blogs – lots has been added about novelty things to do in and around the San Francisco Bay Area.
Moving to San Francisco With a Family
San Francisco is a great city to live in with a family. There are museums, the aquarium, the zoo, the beach, hiking, skiing and lots more.
- New parents (or parents to be):There are free and paid antenatal classes and courses. Have a look at SFBirthcentre and CPMC.
- Live in a family friendly area: Bernal Heights (nicknamed Maternal Heights) is a good suburb to raise a family with its good schools, trees, green spaces and relaxed vibe. Glen Park, West Portal, Central Richmond, Noe Valley and Sunnyside are also good choices. Outer Sunset is another popular area with excellent public schools, parks, the beach, the zoo and playgrounds.
- Find things to do with the kids: San Francisco is fun place for kids to live. Have a look at the following sites:
* The San Feancisco Zoo
* Angel Island
* Golden Gate Park
* San Francisco beach, Cliff House